Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"Songs stuck in the head"



An earworm, sometimes known as a brainworm,[1] is a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing.[2] Phrases used to describe an earworm include musical imagery repetition, involuntary musical imagery, and stuck song syndrome.

Happens with most of us...at least for people like me who are highly distracted. From last evening, that bloody "paani paani" Honey Singh song is stuck in my head(ok don't judge me, or, you know what, go right ahead!) and I am getting pissed off!

Couldn't get rid of it during an exec meeting today...have struggled through this problem as a student during exams - especially when i was trying to solve a problem. I will confess that earworms have troubled me even during interviews!

Eight tracks that have earworm'ed me the most (dare not list more with the risk of enduring them again)

1) "Call me maybe"
2) "Lungi Dance" (Bollywood)
3) "Who let the dogs out"
4) "Gangnam style"
5) "Baby doll" (Bollywood)
6) "Happy"
7) "Titanium"
8) "Paani paani" (bollywood)


How does one get rid of earworms - apparently by taking up a task that engages your brain for a level of challenge. But the trick is to not pick up something too complex, allowing the tune to make it's way back in to your head. Solving anagrams is supposed to help . Alternatively scientists claim, it helps to find a place where one can sing the song loudly - I don't think this will help or is even possible in most of our daily lives!

I'm experimenting with posting a blog in the middle of work - hope this works!


(Think it just did....)

No comments:

Post a Comment